Tuned Exhaust Kit PA28-140 LYC O-360
Bolt-On Horsepower. Complete replacement of your exhaust system. FAA approved by STC and for PA28-140 converted to Lycoming O-360 engines.
Note: if you have an O-320 powered PA28-140, or an early model PA28-150, -160, or -180 (1964 or earlier PA28 below s/n 1761), please click here to go to our product page to select the appropriate aircraft.
For 55 years and counting, Piper’s ubiquitous Cherokee has been a favorite of pilots worldwide. Safe, stable, and economical to own and fly, for many of us it is a “near perfect” personal airplane.
As happy as almost all owners are with their Cherokees though, many of them will admit to being a little less thrilled with the aircraft’s somewhat anemic performance during the critical take-off and climb-out regimes.
That is precisely where we can help:
Bolt-on a Power Flow Tuned Exhaust System and give your Cherokee that shot of extra “oomph” that you know it needs. See it, Hear it, Feel it, Try it - we give you a full 60 Day Money Back Guarantee. This boost of power will have you flying higher, faster, and on less fuel in no time, with only one side effect: a chronic & infectious ear-to-ear grin. The Power Flow Tuned Exhaust System is not just another replacement muffler - it is a vast improvement over the stock Piper exhaust system. Our system is currently installed and flying on more than 750 Cherokees worldwide making it one of the most thoroughly tested and widely accepted performance upgrades for Piper’s classic design.
The concept is simple, out with the old exhaust gases, in with the new fuel-air charge. By more effectively emptying each cylinder of spent exhaust gases, Power Flow gives your Cherokee a number of significant benefits:
1) You will immediately notice an increase in RPM (30 - 130 more).
2) On take-off, your Cherokee will break ground after a ground roll that is 100’ – 300’ shorter.
3) See a significant improvement in rate of climb (30-50%). You are in control.
4) Want to save fuel? You can use less throttle to fly at your current cruise speeds and save up to 2.2 GPH.
5) For more power, use the extra RPM (100 RPM yields approximately five extra knots of airspeed for a slightly (about ½ GPH) higher fuel burn.
6) CHT’s are reduced by 10 F – 20 F with less difference between cylinders.
7) The service ceiling is increased by 2,000 – 5,000 feet, with a corresponding improvement in performance during high density altitude operations.
Don't just take our word for it - listen to what just some of our happy Power Flow customers have to say about the Power Flow tuned exhaust system on their aircraft:
The Power Flow is a versatile, quality constructed, complete replacement of the entire exhaust system for your PA28. A new Cabin and Carburetor Heat shroud (utilizing your current SCAT tube hook-ups) is included. The entire system is constructed from 321 stainless steel and includes minimal structural welds in the cabin heat section for improved safety.
All necessary parts are included for easy installation, usually requiring just 5 - 7 hours. The system can be installed by one of our Authorized Dealers, by your local A&P, or you can fly to us for the installation. Fly in with a standard Piper Cherokee, fly out (usually the same day) tuned for maximum performance and efficiency.
Every Power Flow Tuned Exhaust System comes with an unconditional 60 day (from time of installation) money back guarantee. If you are not totally satisfied, for any reason, you can return the system for a full refund of your purchase price. Fine Print? You just read it.
Lead Times & Applicable Discounts:
Base price of system before lead time discounts, options, or other applicable discounts : $5,200 if ordered before 12/31/22. Price increases to $5,700 as of 1/1/23.
For lead times and discounts see table below
Polished or Ceramic?
The Ceramic Coated tailpipe is a cosmetic enhancement that hides the heat induced discoloration that is characteristic of stainless steel (think of the "bluing" you see on the muffler of a motorcycle). This discoloration has absolutely no effect on performance or reliability but the ceramic coating covers it up permanently. Otherwise, the polished tailpipe begins to discolor after a few hours of flying time. It can be re-polished anytime, but if you are proud of your Cherokee's appearance and would rather spend your time flying than polishing, the ceramic is a nice feature to have.
Challenger Air Filter:
The Challenger air filter replaces the disposable foam filter media found on most aircraft with K&N's high efficiency reusable filter media which provides up to three times more air flow to the intake manifold of the engine. Our own testing has repeatedly confirmed Challenger's published data
A boost in manifold pressure (up to ½”)
An increase of 1 - 2 knots in airspeed
An increase in available power on takeoff.
As mentioned above, the filter media itself is reusable. You just clean it and recharge it (coat it with oil so the dust sticks to it) once a year during annual and you can reuse it up to 25 times or 2,500 flight hours. Since the Challenger system significantly improves the intake side of your Cherokee’s engine at a very reasonable cost, we consider it to be the perfect complement to our Tuned Exhaust System which significantly improves the exhaust side.
A couple of other important pieces of information:
1) We strongly recommend that the aircraft's propeller be dynamically balanced to within 0.2 ips (inches per second) upon installation of the Power Flow System and every two to four years thereafter. If the propeller is dynamically balanced within 25 flight hours of the installation of the Power Flow System and you furnish PFS with copies of the logbook entries confirming this, PFS will extend the warranty on the Tuned Exhaust System from 12 months to 24 months or 500 Flight Hours (whichever occurs first).
Doing so every 2 - 4 years thereafter will dramatically improve the useful life and the reliability of every component that is bolted to the engine, including the Power Flow System.
2) The Power Flow System has no service life limit. It is designed and built to last several thousand flight hours and will quite likely be the last exhaust system you need to buy for your aircraft. As with any high performance system however, it must be maintained properly. Every 500 flight hours or annually (whichever comes first) the four slip joints on the system must be cleaned and lubricated with high temperature anti-seize compound.
Most Customers have this maintenance performed during the aircraft's annual inspection which adds about 2 hours of labor to the inspection. We have had several of our Tuned Exhaust Systems rack up over 4,000 flight hours of trouble free performance (7,000+ flight hours is the current record in a commercial operation) as long as this maintenance is performed as required.
Still not sure if a Power Flow is right for you and your airplane? For complete peace of mind, check out our Power Flow Systems Warranty Details.