Power Flow Systems Forum  

Go Back   Power Flow Systems Forum > PFS Forum > Cessna > C177RG exhaust development (Public)

View Poll Results: What type of sniffle valve do you have?
Angled 13 86.67%
Straight 1 6.67%
Other 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 12-01-2008, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Sniffle Valve Question

I have two spare "sniffle valves" fabricated by Cessna when I changed my engine...special order......it is a 90 degree special Cessna part (somebody need one?). See attached pictures. Also, I have a stand by manifold vacuum take off fitting replacing them at the bottom of the manifold as well; it one is both a 90 and a Tee screwed together, one for the drain, the other for the vac source to the alt vac block leading to the pump and regulator. Will take picture of that (presently mounted) when I have my cowl off next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RG manifold sniffle valve 2.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	390.4 KB
ID:	11  
Unread 12-02-2008, 10:27 AM

Right-angle sniffle valve here.
Unread 12-05-2008, 04:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to jwjeans

N8068G has an angled sniffle valve.
Unread 12-07-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardmarc View Post
I have two spare "sniffle valves" fabricated by Cessna when I changed my engine...special order......it is a 90 degree special Cessna part (somebody need one?). See attached pictures. Also, I have a stand by manifold vacuum take off fitting replacing them at the bottom of the manifold as well; it one is both a 90 and a Tee screwed together, one for the drain, the other for the vac source to the alt vac block leading to the pump and regulator. Will take picture of that (presently mounted) when I have my cowl off next week.
Here is an update to the above. Attached you will see a picturesof my existing manifold drain fitting with the double adaptor. It consists of several parts; a union, a T, an adapter, and a another adaptor for the vac line on one side; on the other anotherside an adaptor for a smaller manifold drain line. I am removing this assembly and installing the Cessna made 'sniffle valve' pictured, because the Cessna valve has an internal check valve and none of the other adaptors have that at all. I will need a T and an adaptor to adapt the "new" valve to the vac hose pipe and to the drain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old manifold drain saved as email file.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	12  
Unread 12-24-2008, 04:11 PM

One more addition:

I have (2) Cardinal RG's at the moment and I just checked the sniffle valve at the bottom of the 2nd engine. It is the straight version, I believe to be part number 75444.

This engine was most recently returned to Lycoming for a zero-time rebuild and evidence points to the fact that it came from the factory with the straight sniffle valve.

Another discussion of the AOPA Forum's "Mechanic's Bench" indicates that the 90 degree part is 2016015-1, and nearly impossible to find. I have to think that they are coming out of the factory with the 75444 these days.

This engine belongs on N7605V and I don't intend to add the Powerflow exhaust to this aircraft. I will be adding the new exhaust system to N2149Q which does have the 90 degree valve in place. But possibly the future owner of 05V will want the Powerflow system too. At this point it may be easier to accommodate the straight valve instead of expecting future IO360-A1B6D owners to source the older 2016015-1 valve. I don't think that Lycoming is even using this valve anymore.

It might be worth a call to Lycoming and/or Cessna at this point.