Power Flow Systems Forum  

Go Back   Power Flow Systems Forum > PFS Forum > Cessna > Skyhawk Owner Comments

Unread 04-16-2014, 06:01 PM

Default Installed Power Flow on C172N,,,ZOOM!

BEFORE Power Flow INSTALLATION

C-172N Stock engine and exhaust
Factory Seaplane on wheels.
98 hours since major.
Bracket Air filter.
HORTON STOL wings
No wheel pants
25 gallons of fuel
Me and some (20 pounds) survival gear
Gross weight of 1865 pounds
CG of 40.00 inches

Conditions: Not Perfect
Temp: 40F
BARO: 30.03
Alt: 80ft above sea level
Wind: Direct Cross wind at 6-8 knots with gusts to 15 knots.
Paved: slightly uphill. Runway 22 Homer Alaska.

Take-off Distance from a stopped position:
400 feet with cool oil
390 feet with hot engine and oil.

Time to 3,000ft agl altitude from a full stop on the runway Before Power Flow:

Full Stop on runway to 3,000 ft AGL with two people on-board ( 2,060 lbs gross weight and a CG of 39.71)

4 minutes 28 seconds, Before Power Flow.

After POWER-FLOW INSTALLATION:

With the plane loaded between 2,035-2,055 pounds I tried the climb to 3,000 ft agl from a full stop on the Homer runway.
This time it took 3 minutes and 22 seconds. Then I did it again and did it in 3 minutes and 20 seconds.
The temp was 40F, the baro pressure was 30.02, the winds was a cross wind at 7 knots.

The time to 3,000 ft agl was over a minute less!

Take-off from full stop after installation:

I was too tired to unload and de-fuel the plane. So I flew take-off runs from the same position and in the same basic conditions as before,
HOWEVER I was now at 2,035 to 2,055 pounds as compared to a previous 1865 pounds.
I made three take-off runs form the exact same location. All three were right at 390 feet.
The same as the old system was able to do with 190 pounds less weight.

Cruise RPM after install with old bracket air filter still installed:

Before the power flow at full throttle 3,500 ft altitude and 27 degrees F. = 2,500 rpm indicated on tach. ( really just over 260o rpm on an optical tach)

After Power Flow installation at full throttle, 3,500 ft altitude, 28 degrees F, = 2,620-2630 rpm indicated on tach. True reading on optical tach was over 2,700 rpm

My tach actually reads low, so I was really a touch over 2700 rpm at after install. Past red line. So i will be re-pitching my regular prop.
.................................................. .................................................. ...

Second take-off distance test with power flow was conducted at the gravel runway in Seldovia Alaska, because the airport folks in Homer would no longer let us video tape on the Homer runway.

For this test the plane had just over 30 gallons of fuel, me and survival gear. So it was closer to the original weight before the Power Flow was installed. But with gravel....

Conditions, 8 knot cross wind with gusts to 16 knots. temp 43 degrees F, Baro pressure was 30.03. Runway 16 in Seldovia is about 29 feet above sea level.

Measured take off distance with Power Flow installed ( Still using the Bracket Foam air filter.) Was right at 300 ft.

Video is on my business facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Drago...59466404063393

THE ORANGE CONE WAS SET RIGHT AT 300 ft for this video....
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=773275606015801

This plane will be providing seaplane instruction this summer. I would only be able to get into and out of the mountain lakes I normally use due to the increase in performance that the Power Flow exhaust has demonstrated so far. Next step is to install the new Challenger air filter system and see how much more I gain.

Alex Clark
Dragonfly Aero
Homer Alaska
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-01-01 008 (1024x767).jpg (113.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-01-01 006 (1024x767).jpg (109.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Alex Clark CFI; 04-16-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Unread 12-28-2015, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Installed Power Flow on C172N,,,ZOOM!

OK I managed to install the Challenger Air Filter shortly after installing my floats in 2014.

I started to experience symptoms similar to carburetor icing while at high power settings on take-off.

Initially I thought it was because I was sucking water into my air filter.

But the real cause was interesting.

The new 80 inch seaplane prop is a 42 inch pitch. This really lets me turn up the RPMs for water take-off.

So the new prop, the Power Flow Exhaust and the new low resistance air filter were really letting the engine breath and run up a good high RPM.

So what was the problem???? Well it turned out that a couple years ago during the engine rebuild, the guy who rebuilt the Carb did not use the correct carb float. The problem only showed up because the engine now needed more gas on take-off due to the higher RPM.
So we rebuilt the carb using new parts and she started to run like a turbine.

In the later part of this video you can really see the exhaust glow coming out of my Power Flow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECMBh-XvxZ4

Here is another video demo of the Power Flow booting the performance of a heavy 160 horse C-172 floatplane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuktyiILdEg

xx

Last edited by Alex Clark CFI; 12-28-2015 at 06:34 PM.