Power Flow Systems Forum  

Go Back   Power Flow Systems Forum > PFS Forum > Cessna > Installation Discussion

Unread 04-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Default Took about 4.5 hours on a C172

My IA had never seen a Power Flow exhaust before and I had only rummaged around in the box and read the instructions a couple times.

I landed at his homestead airstrip at 0900 am while the mud and grass was still frozen and we pushed the plane into the hangar.

I had pre-soaked the old exhaust studs in PB Blaster so they came right off.
Then we had to cut the carb heat hose connection part of the collector box ( classic long pipe) with a cutting wheel and smooth the edges to match up with my size scat hose.
By noon we had the main part of the system hung by the header pipes. That was when we discovered that the included scat hose for the heater was not long enough since it comes out of the collector box on the opposite side as compared to the old muffler. So we lost 45 minuets driving into town to search for more tubing...

The next step was to cut a hole in the lower cowling.... BUT we discovered that the template did not work on my previously modified lower cowl. The opening and lip were already large enough for the support strut to exit without a new hole.

By 2PM we were done with the exhaust and started on the Challenger filter. As it turned out,,, the Challenger kit uses a totally different diameter locking stud as compared to the previously installed Bracket Filter system that was on my plane. The supplied studs were larger in diameter and a little too short. So I had to fly the plane home on the old filter. At least that let me test the exhaust system alone as compared to the old exhaust.

The filter had to be tackled later by installing new backing plates to accept the attaching studs.

I would suggest that the instructions be either for the short stack or for the classic system. Not a mix of both. We pay big bucks and it would only cost a few pennies more. My old IA would crawl over and read something, then I would go over and find out either he or I had let the page flip over to the short stack instructions instead of what we should have been reading.

Additionally I think there should be a short video DVD of installation steps included in the box. These should be type specific. It would only cost a few bucks to produce and it could be hosted on the Power Flow web site if the bean counters are too cheap to include a 5 buck DVD or CD disc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-01-01 004 (1024x956).jpg (116.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-01-01 009 (1024x768).jpg (105.7 KB, 0 views)